Saturday, April 01, 2006

Baseball Saturday

Today was the official start of baseball in Edna. They have an opening ceremony where all the teams and coaches are introduced on the fields and its actually pretty good. Except that it started at 9am and I didn't get home from the Brother's game till 5:30am. I survived.

Thomas had his game at 11am and the collective team lost interest around 11:06. A very long 50 minutes while the whole time I'm wishing I was with my oldest son's team. Hope that doesn't sound bad, but I'm really pumped with the big kids.

My oldest son Kristian (11 yr's old) is on the Lions. His team colors are purple and yellow so they all have matching yellow socks and belt and they actually look nice. I went and found him a yellow helmut with a yellow Easton bat bag and he is all pumped. He is really getting into baseball big time and this makes the old man proud. He's actually got a knack for the game and his fielding is one of the best on the team. Today he found out that he will be playing 3rd and Shortstop the rest of the season. He was happy.

Shitty thing about the Little League rules states that no one can coach more than one team, which meant that I couldn't participate on the field or coach with the other guys. This really blew and J.B. (head coach) asked if they could allow me to coach since I was at nearly every practice but they wouldn't change their minds. Oh well. I can be in parent mode.

The team they played was Rotary Club and they have what many consider the best pitcher in the league. This kid is huge for his age. He's standing around 5'-8" and 150lbs and can bring the ball. Only thing is, he has no control and we have very disciplined hitters. All the tape ball with broomsticks, hitting off tee's and tons of BP helped. We rock this kid early and by the end of the 1st inning he was pulled and we were off to a 5-0 lead.

For the game, Kristian went 0-1 with 2 BB*. He made a respectable showing at the plate and he certainly was hanging in there and showing good form.

In the end we won 11-1. It was a very, very good game. We had no errors and we walked only 3 batters the whole game. Looks like we are the team to beat now. We still have some things to work on (hotbox situations, some defensive bunting situations) so JB, myself and Coach Roland will work on these on Monday.

TEAM RECORD: 1-0 1st Place


* Not big blinds for you poker geeks. This means base on balls aka walk.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't want my kid playing with broomsticks

April 02, 2006 11:09 AM  
Blogger steeler247 said...

lol.

funny DK

April 02, 2006 11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home