Friday, March 31, 2006

Ugh...

I hate baseball/football/soccer/theatre/band parents. You know the kind - the fanatics that all think their kid is the 'next-big-thing'.

I just got off the phone with Rachel*. Apparrantely Rachel has a different coaching strategy than the one I'm employing with my kids. Here's the gist of the conversation...

247: Hello?
Rachel: Hi steeler, this is Rachel. I'm XXXX's mom.
247: How are you?
Rachel: (she doesn't answer my question and gets to the point) I wanted to ask if you are planning on making XXXX bat off the Tee everytime?
247: No. What I normally do during practice is toss the kids around 10-15 balls each. If they don't hit it, then I will get the tee as a last resort.
Rachel: I don't want my daughter hitting off a tee.

silence...

Rachel: hello?
247: I'm sorry? If they don't hit the ball when I pitch to them, then I have no choice.
Rachel: Well, she's going into slow-pitch softball next year, and she has to be ready for it.
247: Actually, I am preparing her for it. I've set up different hitting stations showing them how to hit. And...
Rachel: (cuts me off) I don't want her hitting off a tee. Only babies hit off a tee.
247: Thats not true. I've been coaching for along time. I still have the oldest kids I have hit off a tee. In fact its a really good way to see them develop the right mechanics.

silence...

247: hello?
Rachel: So you aren't gonna make her hit off a tee?
247: I'm gonna teach her to play the game the best I can. She'll come around.
Rachel. I do not want her hitting off a tee.
247: You realize in a game she is only given 5 pitches. If she misses them then she has to hit off the tee.
Rachel: Can I pitch to her then.
247: Do you remember the first day of practice when we didn't have a coach? When they gave me this team I asked if I could have another parent help out and no one was willing to help. Including yourself.
Rachel: Well I can now.
247: Great! I am going to need you to fill out an application with the league and once its approved I'd love to have you out there.

silence...

Rachel: Well. I hope you don't make her hit off a tee.
247: I hope she won't have to either. You should work with her from home. Try and...
Rachel: Some of us work steeler. (now I don't know what she's implying, but it aint good)

silence...

247: anyway, Have her at the field on Saturday morning at 8:30. We'll see you there.
Rachel: Yes you will.


She then just hangs up. WTF?!? This is why I don't like coaching kids this age. I don't mind the older kids, but the young ones always have parents that freak out or think they can do better. I called my assistant, who is a Sheriff's deputy, and he starts laughing at me. That bastid. (it was funny in hindsight) He said she won't fill out the application cause she won't pass it.

Baseball is in full swing. Wish I was Kent's coach.


*her real name. i'm not scared of her or her kind.

5 Comments:

Blogger Hrbek said...

We hit off tees in college against the fence.

March 31, 2006 4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She raises some good points. Get a job ya lazy bastard

April 01, 2006 11:40 AM  
Blogger t said...

i ditto dee

April 01, 2006 4:42 PM  
Blogger steeler247 said...

i hope you are kidding on the tee thing.

and rachel is hawt, if you dig that whole beat-about-the-trailer-house look.

picture a chainsmoking 90lb woman with an attitude.

April 05, 2006 9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how in the f did you remember the entire conversation?

gl coaching

April 06, 2006 9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home