Thursday, March 30, 2006

Baseball

Sorry for not posting. Been very busy.

This year I agreed to work with my oldest son's baseball team. I love coaching the 10-11-12 yr olds. These kids are usually grounded in good fundamentals and can take to coaching better. I can be tough with them and they respond well, and the parents generally don't mind.

I've had the priviledge of working with a UT legend at my last job. Brian Cisarik helped me tons with hitting tips and such and I love incorporating his ideas now when I teach my own kids. I never knew he was such a great ball player until he was in the office one day and saw that I was coaching a team and offered to help. If you saw Brian you would not think he played baseball. He doesn't fit the typical baseball build. He's around 5'-10" and around 135lbs, and that's being generous. He used to come in the office 3x a week just to talk baseball and I loved it cause the boss couldn't tell our best client to leave.

Well I also enrolled Thomas in Coach-Pitch* baseball. When I take him to his practice, the head of the league show's up to tell me that 3 parents had backed out of coaching this team and that they were gonna probably disband our team. He then asked if I would coach them. I told him that I was already coaching and he puts this guilt trip on me in front of the parents. Bastid. I then decide I would do it. Ugh. Not that I don't like this age, but these kids don't listen. At all. I can handle my own knuckle-headed kid, but other people's knuckle-headed kids is taxing on the soul. But we will survive.

Anyway our first game is this Saturday at 11am. Our team is the Lakeway Veterinarians. That has a nice ring to it.

Not.

* a variation of T-ball where the coach soft pitches 3-5 pitches to the hitter. If no contact, the T is then brought out for the player.

8 Comments:

Blogger TheHugeGuy said...

Make sure you let us know at least 1 day in advance that you have a game, and include who you are playing against, and who will be the home team. I will set up wagering lines and take bets from anybody interested.

Also, if the Vets (thats you guys) just happen to lose by at least 3 runs in that first game, there may be a little something in it for you.

I know a guy who can provide you with some "protien shakes" for the kids as well. They might be freaked out at first by injectable shakes, but they'll love the improvements that they see in their game in the long run.

March 30, 2006 8:58 PM  
Blogger steeler247 said...

you don't think 5 & 6 yrs old is too young?

March 30, 2006 9:23 PM  
Blogger TheHugeGuy said...

Saint Anthony called, he said he wants to help you find your sense of humor.

March 31, 2006 6:37 AM  
Blogger steeler247 said...

haha.

i wasn't serious.

i absolutely agree that this age group must be taking any advantage they have. There's a bumper crop of 4 yr olds that are coming up and you know they are using.

March 31, 2006 7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a special place in heaven for coaches of Little League... well the good ones, anyway!

March 31, 2006 8:10 AM  
Blogger Hrbek said...

only thing these kids need to know.
1. double steal
2. dont step on the lines in and out of the dugout
3. bubblegum is the new tobacco
4. flyballs with 0 outs that look up against the wall, it's ALWAYS a mistake to go halfway unless you are 100% positive it will not be caught, in which case they should be running full steam, so it is wrong everytime. They either need to be tagging up or rounding third hard, and if they can't comprehend why then I'm afraid 1000 pole sprints will help them understand.
5. mix it up and throw a strike once in a while.

March 31, 2006 11:15 AM  
Blogger Hrbek said...

point 4 is when they are on second to start the play.

March 31, 2006 11:16 AM  
Blogger t said...

HA

April 01, 2006 4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home