Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Two views from the button.

Another Monday and another Farmer's game.

I sat at the kiddie game where poker is actually being played. The control was fine and it was a pretty easy game. For the night I took a suckout that cost me money but ended up +$25 which sucks, but I'm in the money.

There were two hands from the button that were of interest...

1st Hand

I was dealt 9sTs. I like this hand. Most poker players I know like this hand. So when someone in early position raised to $15 and 1 caller I decided to call the bet. The SB decides to raise $15 to $30. With two other callers I call in position. The pot now lays around $120. Four to the flop...

7s 4s Ks

The SB now checks his hand and the other 2 callers also check. I had $140 left and pushed all in and everyone folded with the SB showing me AsKc. Later he asked me if I would have called with his hand. I told him no. The pot was laying $260 and it would cost him $140 to chase, what he had to think, was only 7 good outs. He was roughly 28% to catch but only getting around 2:1 on his money. This would not have been a good call and at this point he would have been gambling.

2nd Hand

Again from the button. This was the 2nd to last hand of the night. Everyone is playing super tight and hoping to just cash out what they have but there are a few that wanted to gamble. I was dealt AhKh and had 2 limpers to me. I raised to $15 and the 2 same limpers suddenly realized the value of their hands and called. The flop...

Ac 3s 9s

Andre, who plays a loose/aggressive game, pushes all in for $100. I was gonna call when the guy to my right reraised all in. He had around $600 and now i'm stuck. What the hell to do? I hadn't played with this guy all night since they condensed the tables a few hands prior. I begrudgingly folded. Andre had As 2s for top pair and the nut flush draw. Other guy had Ad 7c for top pair, seven kicker. The board blanked out and I would have won a huge pot. Still kinda miffed at that but I felt I had to be beat. Sometimes folding the best hand is the best play. Statistically I was a slight dog on that flop.

-s247

4 Comments:

Blogger Hrbek said...

imwto, folding tptk is a great move or only a small EV mistake. fear not to be w-t

February 28, 2006 8:59 AM  
Blogger Hrbek said...

that above comment is specific to the allin and the second allin...

and it applies esp. when the tp is an A since people play any rag and you are likely up against 2 pr and drawing to 3 outs or against a set and almost dead. if you're against AQ so be it.
if tp was the K, harder to fold it but still probably not the hugest EV mistake. depends if you're feeling frisky or not.

tyvm. i go back to folding now.

February 28, 2006 9:01 AM  
Blogger steeler247 said...

thanks for the input.

when the action came to me I was really confused. the table couldn't believe I would fold AK but I felt that I was beat and went with my gut.

I put this hand in cardplayer analysis and it showed me to be a slight dog on the flop with the spades being almost 50% to my 46%.

I would pry lay this hand down again in a similar situation.

I generally don't play frisky with these guys and stick to the odds. One hand last night I had KQs and the flop came 2 diamonds. Pot laid $18 and someone bet $40. WTF? I fold and they rabbit and the Ace of diamonds came on the turn. Very easy laydown at the time. The price wasn't right.

February 28, 2006 1:54 PM  
Blogger t said...

it was a very good laydown.. quit second guessing yourself!!!

March 03, 2006 7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home