Monday, February 27, 2006

Saturday wrap up

Saturday was Little League baseball tryouts. Alex hasn't played since we left San Antonio and wasn't really interested in trying out this season - or so I thought. I asked him a few weeks ago if he wanted to play but he didn't seem too interested. I wanted him to play but I wasn't going to force him. So during the week he decided, out of the blue, that he wanted to play now. Great. Hello late fee. I'm kidding.

So at 3pm on Saturday, we go out to the ballpark. It was windy and chilly and not exactly the best field conditions for fielding/running/throwing a baseball. I walked in the room and signed both Alex and Thomas up and asked if they needed help with any coaching spots. They told me that Managers are booked for several years! WTF! When we got to the field I saw the motley lot of "coaches". I knew each of these guys and none of them ever played baseball in HS or beyond. I appreciate their dedication to the sport but they were mainly there to coach/start their own kid, and if other kids learned some valuable baseball info then all the better.

The managers have the 40+ kids line up in the field and each kid was to field 3 ground balls and one fly ball and then throw to 1st base. After this they would rotate over to 1st base and catch the throws of the fielders. This was the extent of the fielding.

When all the kids were done, they each grabbed a bat and took 3 pitches from one of the managers. Whether it was a strike or not, you only got 3 pitches. Nice. Since you can't make a good judgement on talent with this tryout, I heard, more than once, the managers asking each other "who's kid is that?". I love baseball politics.

For the record, Alex was one of the few kids who caught all the ground balls. He muffed the pop up. Two hands son, two hands. He did make all 3 catches at 1st. I was proud. When it came time to hit, he hit two really good shots back at the pitcher. Again I was proud. Had the coach tried a curve it would have been a sad day for Alex. Luckily the coach went with some cheese over the middle. Remember to rotate those hips son!

They'll let us know in a week or so which team he's on.

When I told Thomas he was playing T-Ball he said - "ok". What a sport.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home