Sunday, February 19, 2006

Saturday Night Fever

The first Saturday night game at the farmers and I was pretty excited about it. This format was exactly what I was looking for - 100 BBs to start. Although the blinds double, I was fairly confident that I would do well. Prior to the start I had a good feeling I would be at the final table. These type of tournaments are right up my alley and favor better players.

The turnout was nice for a Saturday night. There were 3 tables and a total of 31 players. The buyin for the tournament was $200+20 + $20 for a bounty chip. The bounty was a chip that you collected from someone as you busted them out. I wasn't expecting the extra $40 but no worries. So we start the tourney and I had a few nice pots and one small suckout against me and by the first break I still had around 5000 chips. Early in the tournament I get a call from Donnie (knighty81). He asked what I was doing and I told him that I was playing the farmer tournament and it made him laugh that he caught me playing with Farmers. It was pretty funny. I told him I'd call him back later and he wished me good luck. He's a good guy.

As we went to break I saw that WildBill showed up. He told me he came to check on his money. Funny. Anyway, Bill was a little sauced and started giving me advice on how to play the game...

"I don't care how much they bet, you gotta see a flop" - WildBill
Thanks Bill. I got it from here. After the break, Bill decides to sit next to me and wants to see my hole cards. So I oblige him for awhile and he's getting pissed when I start folding J7s etc... It was actually funny and everyone at the table knew that he had staked me for this tourney.

Funny hand...

I was dealt A5s on the button. Blinds were at 400/800 and everyone folded to me. I raised to 2000 and the BB had 2500 left in chips but just calls. Bill wants to see my cards so I show him...flop comes down A59 and Bill kicks the shit out of me under the table in excitement. I just started laughing and everyone noticed it and started laughing...the other guy goes all in and I call. He had A2 and I busted him and take his bounty. After this hand I told Bill to go play some cash games and he left and told me good luck. He's a nice guy but I was glad to be rid of him.

The Payout:

1st - $2300
2nd - $1700
3rd - $1100
4th - $680
5th - $420
6th - thanks for playing


So I start building some chips and get a few big hands - AA & KK. We finally get down to 10 players and one table. I was around 7th or so in chips and the very first hand I was dealt 99 from middle position. Blinds were 500/1000 and I had 8000 chips. Most of the table was pretty short stacked in relation to the blinds. Now the guy to my right, who was the table chip leader with around 25k in chips makes it 5000 to play. This was gonna commit me to this hand if I play it... I thought for awhile and folded and he had the low stack guy in the BB call. Chip leader had AKs and the BB had KTo and the flop came down AAK! I'm glad I folded. Now there were 9 players left. I jokingly asked for a 9 way split but no takers. I needed chips fast! Blinds now at 1000/2000 and I still have 8k in chips. I get dealt KQs UTG+2 and bet 4000. I only have 4k in chips left and someone asks me why I didn't push all in. Another guy says it was because I had a huge hand and wanted a caller so everyone folds including a guy with with pocket 8s. Phew!

Now I let an orbit or two go by and I pick up the blinds again. We now get down to 6 players and I was 5th in chips. Blinds at 2000/4000 and I have 12k in chips. UTG I pick up the 2 red Aces and push all in. I really wanted a caller and the BB obliged with KK. I doubled up and was feeling good. Now the table was still sitting six players and someone mentioned that we take $100 off of 1st and 2nd and pay the 6th place finisher. We all agreed. I was glad everyone agreed to this and you could tell everyone felt better. These farmers are some of the nicest people I've met. We get down to 5 players and I'm 4th in chips. One guy was extremely short stacked but wasn't going to play a hand. With blinds now at 4000/8000 he had 6200 and was in the BB. I was dealt AQs UTG and just called. The SB also completes the bet. The flop comes down Q77 and I check and the BB checked as well. The turn was 3 of hearts and I checked and the SB bets 8000. Damn. Now I was wondering if he had a 7 but I call anyway. The river was a blank and I check and stare menacingly at the SB and he checks too. I show AQ and the SB also has AQ. The BB guy didn't even look at his hand and turns them up and he has KK! WTF!!!

So he triples up and I am now in the BB paying 8000 chips. I am now the low stack guy with around 18k in chips. Everyone folds to me and I pick up the blinds. Sweet. I let one orbit come up and UTG i pick up A8s. I push my last 18k in chips and get 2 callers. Flop comes KQ7 and I knew i was done. I didn't improve and bust in 5th place. I was actually pleased with the way I played. Anytime you leave with more than you came with is always good. I divy up the $420 and give WildBill his cut and I leave with $210. Nice.

-247

3 Comments:

Blogger Ben Taylor said...

Nice finish, man. The part about Wild Bill sitting next to you, and Knighty "catching you" plying with the farmers was funny.

February 19, 2006 2:17 PM  
Blogger t said...

take em down cowboy

February 19, 2006 7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish wild bill would stake me in our local tunry....nice work man!

February 20, 2006 6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home