Thursday, February 09, 2006

OJ Did it.

There are 3 big events in my life that I remember exactly where I was when i heard the news of the event: Challenger explosion, OJ verdict and 9/11/01.

In 1986, I was a freshman in HS. I remember it being around 11am in the morning and the principal came over the intercom to tell us that the space shuttle had exploded. He also commented that they had spotted parachutes and that it is believed that all astronauts survived. When the bell rang we ran to the cafeteria and saw the replay of the explosion and we all knew then that there was no way in hell anyone survived. I even remember some of the students crying when they saw the news. It was almost as if watching a scene from Hollywood.

In 1995 I was sitting in the Student Union building at SHSU. I was having lunch with my very good friend Natalie when we saw tons of students running to the TV. We just sat there and knew the verdict must be coming shortly. All of a sudden we heard a huge crowd of people clapping and cheering and I knew that OJ got off. It made me feel sick to my stomach that someone so obviously guilty was found innocent. One black student commented that whites had been killing blacks for years and getting off and it was their due. MLK rolled over in his grave. I have no doubt he didn't intend for his Civil Rights Movement to go this way. Eff OJ.

On 9-11-01 I got to the office early and always look up CNN.com. I remember seeing one of their red bannered headlines saying "Plane hits World Trade Center" and initially thought that a small plane must have hit the building. Then one of the office ladies came in and said she heard a plane hit and I told her I just read that on CNN and that it had to be a small plane. I used the CNN streaming audio and started hearing the story break and the entire office ran into the breakroom to watch on TV. The president of the company actually closed down the office that morning but no one left because we didn't want to miss anything. I have never felt more sad and at the same time, more patriotic at that moment.

-247

2 Comments:

Blogger t said...

Weird you mentioned OJ.. did you watch Oprah too??? Chris Darden was on there, good show. Hes still pretty bitter about the whole OJ thing.

February 10, 2006 6:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How funny about OJ...I'll never forget either. However, you didn't mention all the students who carried around cartons of orange juice that day. I always thought that was funny!!

February 15, 2006 1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home