Wednesday, March 08, 2006

New game at Greeks

There's a weekly tournament in El Campo that Tommy and Ike told me about. The game is at Greek Brother's, so you can expect good food/entertainment. The tournament is "free" but the food is $10. The tournament is a weekly point accumulation that gets the Top 20 players for the month into their end of the month freeroll. The first 60 players to sign up play. The 20 player 'freeroll' pays $1k to 1st place.

I sat at a really weak table where, prior to the break, I was the only one to ever raise a pot preflop. After one orbit I was sitting with nearly 5k in chips. I was seeing flops for cheap with connectors and 2 paint and when I hit I would raise and they would fold. Prior to the break I limped with QTo and flopped the nut straight and had 3 callers to the river. Break time and I was sitting at 8k in chips. Not bad, but the blinds now double.

Also, there is some side-action going on. I entered a $10 last longer prop bet. Everyone in the room was in it as well. They pay the top 5 players who entered, so I figured I'd give it a try. My friend Ty also started a $100 last longer bet. I was leary about this one and passed but he still had around 12 takers.

After the break the blinds were raised to 200/400 with 50 ante. I was running good until I ran into KK with my QQ. The KK guy was a really old guy and he limped UTG. I raised to 1200 and he just called. Flop was Jack high and he bets minimum. I raised to 1600 and he calls. Turn was a Ten and he checks. I push him all in for his last 700 and he takes 5 minutes debating. He finally calls and beats me. I couldn't believe how passive he played that and I thought I was good the whole way. I finally became a victim to the blinds and pushed with KJ only to run into AQ and I was out in 20th out of 60. Not too bad for my first time at this game. I'll make adjustments next time. I really want to get in the top 20 in point total for the freeroll.

Tommy and Ike, who run the Farmer's game, have been talking about having a tournament to send a player to the main event at this year's World Series of Poker. We actually started working out the details last night. Seems like sometime in the summer we'll have a $500 buyin tournament with the winner getting $12000 and dividing up the remaining $$ to the 2nd and 3rd place finishers. We've talked to several people and we have solid committments from 30 players so far, so this is more than feasible.

Ike asked me how I would set it up and I told him the only way I would play is if it were a deep stack (10,000 chips) to start and a slower progressive blind structure (45 mins per blind) similar to the WSOP. He agreed and we'll have it on some Saturday in the summer starting around Noon. I'm thinking we can have 50 players. We are even talking about having satellites to the $500 game. Even better.

While we were talking, WildBill shows up. We tell him what we are talking about and he asked if I was going to play in the tournament. I told him I was considering it. He said he would pay half my entry if I split with him. SUH-FREAKING-SWEET! Bill thinks I'm the best thing to tournament poker since sliced bread since he's staked me 3x and I've been in the money all 3 times. I have him fooled. He doesn't know of my bubble record in big MTTs online. And he doesn't need to.

So now I'm going to play in the tournament with only half the entry with the premise that I split any future WSOP winnings (if i make it) with Bill. No problemo.

I'm playing Poker way too much.

don't be jealous.

3 Comments:

Blogger Hrbek said...

i play KK and AA like that sometimes too but in position so the call looks weaker than the check-call. I love people reading draw or tp weak kicker.

sorry tho ... looks like a game for you in the long run.

March 10, 2006 1:07 PM  
Blogger steeler247 said...

i actually like this play if he knew he could get someone heads up... i think this 'higher' play just fell into his lap by mere chance...

i am looking forward to Tuesday nights now...

March 11, 2006 10:36 PM  
Blogger Hrbek said...

Junior Brown puts on a good show by the way. El Campo mid-April

March 12, 2006 10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home