Monday, January 23, 2006

The Cherry is popped...

My first post shall be an introduction. Nothing too personal but enough to keep you wanting for more. (oh God).

Hello. I am 35 years old. As depressing as that sounds for most i'm actually quite ok with my experiences. I go by the name of steeler247 not because i'm a Pittsburgh Steelers fan (which i am now by the way because they are in the SuperBowl) but because I worked in the steel industry for several years for what seemed like 24hrs a day/ 7 days a week.



"if elected, i'll be there 24hrs a week, 7 months out of the year..."
- G Dub

Not a big Dubya fan. You'll catch on to this all too soon.

I recently returned to school after a 10yr layoff thanks to some life altering happenings: The ole wife packed up and took the kids back to Edna from San Antonio. So being as how i wanted to see my kids grow up daily and not just the weekends and every other holiday (damn lawyers), I quit my very prestigious position as Development Coordinator for a company and decided to sell everything, cash in my retirement and move back to Edna to be closer to the kiddos and to get the degree I now so desperately covet. I don't regret a thing. Never do. In fact there are things in life that I wish I would have done differently, but things wouldn't be how they are now and I don't wanna live life through 'what-coulda-beens'. I'm sure thats a country song.

So what do I wanna do with the last 1/2 of my life? I always fancied myself a band director -struggling with knuckle headed kids on the differences between a sousaphone and a tuba... or getting that last bunch of candy sold so the band can take some myopic and pointless trip to Disney World. Yeah, thats what good bandsmen are all about - Mickey. So thats what I want to do: Be a band director and do all the above things. And if i make enough to pay the bills and deposit some of it online for my poker fix than the world is a happy place for steeler.

I also play poker online. I have made tons of friends through poker. Sad as it may sound, but some of em I consider closer friends than the ones I actually see on a daily basis. I don't know if its by design or that i try and live vicariously through them (or i just wanna say that i know smart people) but most are what i consider ubersmart. Kent Hrbek, not his real name, played football and baseball at Yale and now designs websites and has a 2yr old daughter. I speak to him daily and his blog, www.hrbek.blogspot.com is some of the most creative writing i've ever read. Kudo's Kent. I also speak to Deemon daily. This may be her real name. Just kidding Dee. She graduated from MIT in Aerospace Engineering but she doesn't come off as some egghead math genius (like i woulda if i had a degree like that). She lives in LA so I give her some slack. There are others like Topanga and Fornelli and Knighty and Virge and rjs182 that i talk to almost daily. If i didn't mention your name, then you really aren't that good a friend of mine and i only want your money at the poker table. Ok... you are friends but i'm alloted only a certain amount of bandwith...

Misery loves company and there is no greater misery than aspiring to become poker legends. As for what i think a blog is... well that is easy - It is the daily (or weekly) personal musings of someone who so desperately craves attention and affection of his/her peers that they'll put their lives and those they love in a free and open forum for all to witness. It is why i wanted to do a blog so badly in the first place. I read other blogs and some of your lives are pretty pathetic and it makes my life a whole lot better.

I kid. Mostly.

-steeler247

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

-allenray4

jk, i like it

January 23, 2006 3:27 PM  
Blogger Hrbek said...

SHOUT THIS!

January 23, 2006 9:33 PM  
Blogger IlliniFan97 said...

about time, slacker!

January 24, 2006 12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home